Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I Wish I Had Bought The Jack Lalane Juicer from that Infomercial

I soo should have posted this yesterday, but a little thing called Monday Night Football was on and completely distracted me from my blog post. So, sorry for the delay, but here is my recipe for Key Lime Pie.

This pie was a near disaster (it seems I'm having a few of those lately). I started off making a recipe from Southern Living, which called for 1 cup of freshly squeezed Key Lime Pie. So, I bought a bag of key limes and began squeezing. The recipe says 25 minutes of prep time - I would like to call BS on that. After 1 hour of squeezing and grating rinds, I barely reached 3/4 cup with a bag of 20-some key limes. Uh oh.... So, I opened up the classic Joy of Cooking cookbook which, thankfully, only called for 1/2 cup of key lime juice but used 1 tablespoon of grated key lime rind. I ended up blending these two recipes to create the recipe below. I hope it worked, I ate it for breakfast and liked it.

I also just love how each week Salt and I have come up with completely different recipes. It's so cool seeing how each of us chooses recipes each week and the key lime throwdown is no different. LOVE IT!

PS - Do not put foil over meringue, apparently it can cause the meringue to disappear where it touches the foil, thus causing your pie to look like a cake wreck.

Sugar's Southern Joy Key Lime Pie
Yield: 1 9" Pie

Prep Time: 1 hour (for squeezing juice), 25 minutes for the rest, 28 minutes cook, and 8 hours to chill

Ingredients:


Pie Crust:
1.25 cups of graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup melted butter
1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar


Filling:
2 (14 oz.) cans of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c. fresh key lime juice
1 tbsp. grated key lime rind
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1/4 tsp. salt

Meringue:

2 egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
2 tbsp. sugar

Directions
:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, butter, and sugar in a bowl with a wooden spoon. Press into a 9" pie plate. Bake for 10 minutes.
2. Remove the crust from the oven and allow it to cool.
3. Combine sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, rind, and egg yolk in another bowl and stir until well combined. Pour into the pie crust.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Beat for about 4 minutes on high speed.
5. Spread the meringue overtop of the pie and filling.
6. Bake at 350 for 28 minutes.
7. Allow the pie to cool off a bit, then chill for 8 hours.
8. Eat for breakfast.

XOXO,




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com